In the U.S… energy use and utilities account for 34 percent of a school’s maintenance and operations budget.
All schools applying for a conserve: energy green step must (are encouraged to) participate in either the Cool School Challenge or the EPA’s Climate for Action Program or similar program that helps students evaluate their carbon footprint. Climate for Action may be more appropriate for younger grades.
What Students Can Learn…
- Duke Energy Play
What Students Can Do…
- Perform fall and spring energy audits and report improvements.
- Swap light bulbs
- Flatten boxes
How Can Students Teach Others…
- Label light Switches
- Give awards to adults who consistently turn off lights and computers at the end of the day.
Helpful websites for Kids Energy Games
- energy KIDS – Games & Activities from the US Energy Information Administration.
- Energy Star Kids – Be an Energy Star! from Energy Star.
- KIDS ENERGY ZONE from Touchstone Energy.
- KIDS Saving Energy – Games, tips, & facts just for kids who want to save energy! from the US Department of Energy.
Conserve: Energy Web Resources