Conserve: Green Purchasing
Why buy and sell recycled products?
START A SCHOOL STORE TO SELL RECYCLED SCHOOL SUPPLIES.
- Use a locking cart that can be rolled to the cafeteria during lunch hour, PTO meetings or special events.
- Students can sell items and use the proceeds to fund environmental projects. Stock up when school supplies go on sale in September. Try selling:
- recycled paper (loose leaf, spirals, index cards, folders)
- recycled pencils and pens (from newsprint, cardboard, currency, blue jeans)
- recycled logo items (shoe laces, backpacks, lunch bags, reusable water bottles)
- items made by students (cereal box folders, laundry lid “flip-toys, holiday ornaments, etc)
CONVINCE YOUR SCHOOL OR SCHOOL DISTRICT TO PURCHASE RECYCLED CONTENT ITEMS:
- Copy paper
- Paper towels
- Paper napkins
- Ink cartridges
CHOOSE RECYCLED ITEMS TO SELL AS FUNDRAISERS:
- Reusable shopping bags made from recycled content. Chico bags offers fundraising opportunities.
- Greeting cards or gift wrap
- Or check out options at: http://www.greenraising.com/
ADVERTISE RECYCLED ITEMS AVAILABLE IN LOCAL STORES IN YOUR NEWSLETTER
- Have students bring in ads from local newspapers.
- Check out products at http://www.terracycle.net/