Students, teachers, and families take ownership over their environment by participating in Adopt-A-Spot, Adopt-A-Street, Adopt-A-Highway, Adopt-A-Stream, or Adopt-A-Waterway programs. Through these programs, students take part in preserving and maintaining spots, streets, sections of a highway, stream or waterway in their community. Clean-ups occur several times a year. Students become stewards of public land, educate fellow citizens, increase the quality of life for their community, and save taxpayer dollars by performing this valuable public service.
Adopt-A-Highway program is sponsored by the South Carolina Department of Transportation. Click here to download a brochure. If your school wants to Adopt-A-Highway they must agree to adopt at least two miles of highway and participate in four cleanups per year. Your school must also: make a two-year commitment, choose a group leader, and sign and submit an Adopt-A-Highway agreement form. Click here to get started and also check out additional programs below under Litter Prevention Resources.
Other Litter Pickup Activities
Beach Sweep/River Sweep – Litter threatens the health and beauty of many of our treasured lakes, streams, and rivers, boat landings, and islands. Students learn more about water-based pollution issues and what they can do to prevent them.
Click here to find out about the annual South Carolina Department of Natural Resources’ Beach Sweep/River Sweep Event.
Litter Free School Zones – Litter Free School Zones are programs for students, teachers, families, and community members. These programs are a fun and easy way for students to work together. While keeping school grounds clean, students learn valuable community leadership and responsibility skills and gain a respect for the environment and world around them. Students learn about litter prevention, source reduction, and recycling while organizing a system for keeping their grounds free. Some schools also host litter-free events at least once a year (sports events, assemblies, field trips, etc).
Protect: Litter Prevention Resources
- Keep the Midlands Beautiful – Adopt-A-Highway/Adopt-A-Street – Lexington and Richland Counties.
- Keep the Midlands Beautiful – Adopt-A-Waterway – Lexington and Richland Counties.
- PalmettoPride- Litter Free Athletic Events
- York County Adopt-A-Stream – York County
- PalmettoPride – Adopt-A-Highway
- Education Programs for grades K-12, PalmettoPride
- Litter Curriculum for grades K-12, PalmettoPride in partnership with the Department of Education
TAKE ACTION IN SOUTH CAROLINA
- Learn who to contact in your county to get involved in Litter Prevention, PalmettoPride
- Litter control and enforcement, SC Litter Control Association