Ask your mentor to do a presentation, then click on these links to learn more about soil at schools.
- Ask S.K. Worm
- Clemson Sandhill Compost Tour Contact
- Composting in Schools
- DHEC Composting Guide for Schools
- DHEC Recycling Education Grants
- Soil Education Lesson Plans
- The Worm Guide: A Vermicomposting Guide for Teachers
- Worm Composting Supplies
- Have students build and manage a vermicomposting bin
- Have students build and manage a garden compost bin
Ideas for sharing student soil knowledge
- Post pictures with captions on your Green Steps school site
- Submit pictures with captions to the Green Steps blog and Facebook page
Build Composting Bins
Help students use a Styrofoam cooler with ventilation holes, filled with shredded, damp newspaper to build a home for red wriggler worms in your classroom.
Help students build a garden compost bin from wooden pallets and zip ties. To get started, layer fruit cores and peels, paper towels and fall leaves.